08 Nov Receiving Essential Nutrients for Better Health
If you have unexplainable aches and pains, fatigue, weakness, and more, you could have a problem with your diet. If you are not receiving enough essential nutrients in your day, you will notice it in how well your body functions. Each person needs 6 essential nutrients to stay healthy: fat, protein, carbohydrates, water, vitamins, and minerals. These nutrients are needed to have enough energy to get through the day and to keep tissues, bones, muscles, nerves, and all parts of your body strong. If you have had a recent injury or have frequent ailments, changing your diet can help you recover quicker and feel better. We have many rehabilitative therapies that can help relieve your aches and pains. Your healing and recovery process can go even quicker with a better diet. Find out how essential nutrients play a role in helping your body feel better today!
Essential Nutrients: What Are They?
There are 6 essential nutrients that every person needs to stay healthy and to keep their body working. Those are: carbohydrates, protein, fat, water, vitamins and minerals. There are many diets out there that seek to cut out carbs. However, you need to have carbs to stay healthy! Carbohydrates are the main energy source your brain feeds off of to function. Without them, your brain couldn’t help run the rest of your body. They help your body’s involuntary actions such as breathing and keeping your heart beating. Sugars and healthy foods like fruits and veggies provide carbs, but we recommend getting this nutrient from the healthy sources.
Protein is also one of the main sources of energy your body uses. Protein is needed for your skin, muscles, bones, and other tissues to grow and function properly. It’s basically the building block of your cells. It’s also needed to keep your brain healthy, as a diet lacking in protein can cause serious developmental problems. Although fat gets a bad rap sometimes, it’s also one of the essential nutrients. Fat is the third energy source the body uses. However, it also helps the body absorb vitamins because many vitamins are fat-soluble vitamins such as A, D, E, and K. Fat should be eaten in healthy forms such as nuts and seeds.
One of the most important essential nutrients is water. It makes sense, as 65-80% of your body is made up of water (depending on your age and size). The majority of your tissues, organs, skin, and other parts of the body are made up of water. Your body is constantly burning water throughout the day as well as removing waste, so you need to replenish it constantly. Water is so essential that you’ll die within just a few short days without it.
Vitamins and Minerals
Every person needs vitamins and minerals to stay healthy. These are the last two essential nutrients, but no less important. Here are the main vitamins and minerals in the body and what they do:
- Vitamin A – Helps with growth and development, vision, immune system, reproduction, skin, bone, and red blood cell formation.
- Vitamin B6 – Helps with nervous system and immune function, metabolism of protein, carbs, and fat, and red blood cell formation.
- C – Formation of collagen and connective tissue, wound healing, and immune system health.
- D – Helps bone growth and calcium balance, immune and nervous system function, hormones and blood pressure regulation.
- E – Antioxidant that helps immune system and formation of blood vessels.
- K – Helps your blood to clot and keeps bones strong.
- Calcium – Helps blood clot, bone and teeth formation, blood vessel health, hormone secretion, muscle contraction, and nervous system health.
- Iron – Helps energy production, growth and development, immune system health, reproduction, and wound healing.
- Iodine – Helps metabolism, growth and development, reproduction, and thyroid function.
- Magnesium – Helps blood sugar and pressure regulation, bone and protein formation, energy production, immune and nervous system health, hormone secretion, and normal heart function.
- Potassium – Helps regulate blood pressure, fluid balance, heart, muscle, and nervous system function, protein formation, growth and development, and carbohydrate metabolism.
Rehabilitation to Recover Quicker
Having a better diet is proven to help you feel better, have fewer ailments, and can even help you live longer. Physical activity coupled with a better diet can add years to your life. It can also reduce your risk for cancer, as 60% of cancer cases are diet related. The American Heart Association also reports that a better diet and more physical activity can help people avoid chronic diseases such as obesity, heart disease, diabetes, stroke, heart attack, and more. For people who have chronic illnesses, injuries, or ailments that prevent them from being active, physical therapy is a great option for getting back in shape.
Physical therapy services can help keep your muscles and tissues strong, while helping you to have fewer problems and symptoms from your ailments. We have services such as chiropractic care, vibration therapy, neuropathy treatment, trigger-point therapy, and more for our patients. Each person can find a treatment that can help them become healthier, stronger, and more aware of their health. We can even help improve your diet and nutrition with health and fitness plans catered to you. No matter what rehabilitative service you use, you are making a smart decision for your health!
Get Healthier Today!
Whether you are changing your health by eating better, or you’re getting stronger through rehabilitative services, you are making a major difference in your life. A healthier diet helps you to stay thinner, avoid chronic diseases, and live longer. Physical therapy services can help you overcome injuries and ailments and help you enjoy that life even more. To find out what services can benefit your health and make a difference in your life, call Mile High Spine & Pain Center today at (720) 507-0080!